Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Drawing from Brambly Hedge


Jill Barklem is one of my favorite illustrators and story tellers, published in 1980.

"The mice of Brambly Hedge live together in a close knit community making best use of what ever each season has to offer." Her illustrations and clever mouse innovations are brilliant.

In art school students "copy the masters" so I spent a couple available moments quick sketching from Jill's illustrations to learn some of her technique. I like the way she shades with cross-hatching before water coloring. After my last commission, I felt like this technique would be useful.


























Here is a sketch from Jill Barklem's Sea Story. I am learning how to shade with quick cross hatching. I think it will add great depth to my watercolor illustrations. And I am finding that I really like the look of my loose and wild ones. So I can be less of a perfectionist and enjoy a lively scribble!

























Mr Dusty Dogwood and miss Poppy Eyebright announce their engagement. Sketched from Jill Barklem's Summer Story. It took a couple tries to get a sketch I was happy with. Drawing on stacks of computer paper really takes away the pressure! No pencils or erasers allowed.


























Another little sketch from Jill Barklem's Autumn Story. Learning to trust my hand with a pen is challenging. It's interesting how some days I totally trust my hand and make no mistakes, while other days I doubt my hand and wobble all over the place. I wonder what causes the difference?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment