Monday, August 14, 2017

2 year gap, ready to catch up!

This blog has been a useful record of my progress since 2011, and I would like to keep it up as an art journal, for my own record keeping and note taking.

What has been going on the last 2 years? Home making, property taming, garden tending, hosting, youth disciplining, church growing and last but not least, Navine raising! Art has definitely taken a back seat in our full life. I have become familiar with the "nap time hustle" and have been able to consistently create a very small amount of artwork.

Minted.com has been a huge encouragement to me. Its seemed that the more they gave to me, the less I was able to give back and now I feel that I have dropped off completely from entering challenges, though I am about to start a large commission that I received through their commission program.

In October of 2016 Minted invited me to visit their headquarters in San Fran! As a benefit of being under contract, I had the privilege of joining a small handful of artists to tour the gorgeous Minted work space. We took part in critique meetings, met with Miriam, the CEO, were bestowed gifts, wined and dined, participated in art event at the Minted Local store and had a fun time getting to know each other!




In some ways the trip with thrilling and inspiring, in other ways it caused a pang in my heart, knowing that my involvement would become less and less as mothering became more and more. But, as I will someday write in beautiful flowing calligraphy,

"Nurturing a tiny heart is the highest form of Art."

These are some pieces that I created for Minted the last couple years:


"Walking Dogs" was a result of a brief moment where I thought my future might be in pet portraits.





These "Cactus Gardens" were fun to create with a base of watercolor and white prickly patterns. Drawing the prickles was extremely satisfying and relaxing. It was nice to branch out and try a different technique.

There's more in my shop!

Some art pieces are "winners" voted by the Minted community. Others are "Editor's Picks" selected by the Minted team, and others are "self launched." I keep the rights to my self launched work and can use it outside of Minted.


No comments:

Post a Comment