Friday, May 13, 2011

Coon's Camp Out


I created this illustration to be a lesson on night light. I am still not sure if I got it quite right.... hey, that rhymes :) Painting this was really intimidating because I felt like I could easily ruin it at any moment. It required slow thought and careful light layers. The moon is so big and close that I thought it should shed lots of light on the ground, but I am not sure if that takes away from the warm glow of the fire. I could bring the green down from the horizon and fade it as it enters the foreground.... (what do you think Sara?) I usually stop prematurely because once you take a step with watercolor it is almost impossible to go back. I tend to air on the side of caution.



Overall I am really excited about the depth the color brings. I also like the way the hot coals turned out. The fire pit was the very last thing I painted and I knew it could make or break this piece.

I finished this illustration last night and today I created another lighting challenge: Rabbits in a cellar collecting veggies to make soup! I drew a light bulb hanging from the ceiling so that I know exactly where the light is coming from. Now to just make it convincing with color! I want to create the feeling of warmth :)

2 comments:

  1. Ooooooh! How cuuuute! Look at the sleeping coons! I just adore raccoons, they're so freakin'...well...adorable!

    Okay, about the light, I really like it! All I would do is push the coons' shadows. Make them darker as if they're dancing shadows. Your coals are fantastic and really do give off heat. But your shadows don't compliment. With the moon that close, everyone and everything is going to create a strong shadow (coons and trees mainly).

    ...poor fish tho... X(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so talented! I love love that you've posted your art here - I'll be returning frequently to admire your work :) Blessings on you, friend!

    ReplyDelete