Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Look Back, My First Chalks.

Before I show you my first watercolors, I would like to show you some of my first chalkboards.



First of all let me point out that you can't read the text and that there are no prices. I had no idea what I was doing. Other than the giant advertising flaws, the colors were off and the line quality was weak. eventually I got better at using color. Each board I did required that I look at a picture and copy it. (no imagination yet.) That caused all sorts of problems: if I had a great idea I had to find a picture first.... and I didn't have the internet, just National Geographic magazines. 


"Snack Attack" was one of my favorite boards that I did from a photo. I was learning how to use color. Still, the illustration was too realistic. I was getting prices on the board, but my illustration and advertising were not connected. Good drawing, weak advertising.


Suddenly, one day, I fell into a style. I really don't know where it came from, everything just clicked. Not only did I find my style, but I suddenly began to see and imagine in chalk. 

Now I could tie the whole store together with my consistent style. My advertising skills would still continue to grow over the next 2 years. To see more of my favorite boards look up my first post "A Walk Down Memory Lane."

In my next post I will begin sharing my early watercolors :)

No comments:

Post a Comment