Tuesday, November 5, 2013

South American Boy

This is my 6th and final illustration for the Sunday school curriculum. It has been a growing experience trying to capture these 6 children.
When I painted my African boy, I had trouble with the granulation of my sienna watercolor. Later, my illustrator friend told me that all of her browns have granulation (making the paint look gritty.) For my South American boy I mixed cadmium red, colbalt blue and serpentine genuine green to get his soft brown skin color. I added a little bit of purple for my darker shades.
When I look back at my first Asian girl, I realize how much I have learned. I learned how to see shapes in the skin to create movement and depth, Unlike the tedious painting of fur, with skin I have to move quickly with out stopping to create smooth tones that flow.

1 comment: