Tuesday, January 23, 2018

"Instructions" continuted





































This year (2017) I graduated from sizing paper in the sink to the tub!

Here the illustration begins to come to life! My commissioner was so good at giving me free reign in the conception and completion of this piece. The only part that she really looked forward to seeing was the "red imp hanging on the green door." Having never drawn an imp, elf, sprite, or fairy, this was intimidating! I was quite pleased with how he turned out.















































Here is more progress, and another picture for perspective, both on size and challenge! HA!



































At this point in time Navine was really into "happy trees." No, not from Bob Ross, those are "happy little trees." She loves pictures of Tree Beard from The Lord of the Rings and the "tree ents" around my parent's property in Oregon. She loves looking at my drawings and is even good at identifying my work in other people's homes! While she was pouring over this drawing, she said, "Is there a happy tree?" There wasn't one! So I had to draw one in just for her!

You can see the Tree Ent in this section. This is my favorite section color-wise. I like the shadows and light. I also love the little owl that appeared under my hand when I was drawing the twisted oak.
Another close up of the "Ferryman."





















Here is the finished piece! I am going to do another post with close ups and a couple notes!
Can you find:

4 cats
1 owl
6 little birds
1 snail
1 fawn
3 imps
1 tree ent
1 fairy
1 crown




1 comment:

  1. Such an incredibly magical piece!
    I am so glad you showed details of it, so that I can take to heart the different parts. It is wonder-full. I love the castle reflections with different details. The moon reflections in different phases, or maybe sun moon? It is a story without words, a journey full of heart. The person who commissioned you must be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete