Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Close ups on Neil Gaiman's "Instructions"




 Touch the wooden gate in the wall you never
saw before.
Say "please" before you open the latch,
go through,
walk down the path.
A red metal imp hangs from the green-painted
front door,
as a knocker,
do not touch it; it will bite your fingers.
Walk through the house. Take nothing. Eat
nothing.
However, if any creature tells you that it hungers,
feed it.
If it tells you that it is dirty,
clean it.
If it cries to you that it hurts,
if you can,
ease its pain.

From the back garden you will be able to see the
wild wood.
The deep well you walk past leads to Winter's
realm;
there is another land at the bottom of it.
If you turn around here,
you can walk back, safely;
you will lose no face. I will think no less of you.

There was a moment when I realized the giant looks like he is sucking his thumb. At first I was horrified, then I came to like it. How else could you sleep so deeply?



Here we have hydrangea, iris, tulips, hosta, allium, delphinium, hollyhocks, russian sage, echinasea, yarrow and peonies all blooming in magical harmony :) An artist gets to be a gardener, architect, fashion designer all in one! Gardening comes naturally, I didn't need references for these flowers becasue they all grow in our garden, but boy do I struggle designing dresses!
I enjoyed designing my own dragon! Partially inspired by our current favorite book The Storybook Knight. She has a soft spot for kitty cats. 

Once through the garden you will be in the
wood.
The trees are old. Eyes peer from the under-
growth.
Beneath a twisted oak sits an old woman. She
may ask for something;
give it to her. She
will point the way to the castle.




 These ghosts were by far the most challenging part. My first instinct was to make them white, but then they just blarred from the center of the painting and you couldn't look away. It was bad, and scary! I was incredibly nervous to try anything else because I was afraid I would make it worse. But after a little work researching how others painted ghosts, and a couple peer reviews from artist friends, I learned that I neened to paint green into the ghosts so that we would be seeing through them. The result was wonderful! From across the room you really don't see them, but up close, they don't take up all your attention and let your eyes wonder.



Here is a photo of the ghosts when they were in process. Once you see the solution, it makes sense and seems easy, but at this point I was super anxious! Its hard to see the difference on the screen, but in real life it was a big difference.


 I really wanted to have the 12 months, sitting by the fire in the middle of the illustration. The months being represented by larger than life animal type creatures, and the 4 seasons spreading out to the 4 corners of the illustration in there respective positions. But I was never able to fully work it out. Hmmm.... Instead I banished them to the farthest point of the illustration. But I see them all back there. They are really awesome creatures and she is small but brave talking to them.

During the entire illustration process I never let myself look at any other illustrations of this poem. Once I did, I was surprised to see that the original illustrator portrayed the 12 months in a way similar to what I was trying. So in hinds sight, I am glad I didn't focus on them because my illustration might not have felt as original to me.

In the clearing beyond the castle the twelve
months sit about a fire,
warming their feet, exchanging tales.
They may do favors for you, if you are polite.
You may pick strawberries in December's frost.
Trust the wolves, but do not tell them where
you are going.
The river can be crossed by the ferry. The ferry-
man will take you.
(The answer to his question is this:
If he hands the oar to his passenger, he will be free to
leave the boat.
Only tell him this from a safe distance.)

Water is something I would like to get better at. I really like the way it glows in the top part of the lake, but the larger part with the silver fish was hard and took a lot of careful thought and holding back. 

 
Here she is :) A noble girl who has traversed a great journey! I only wish that I been more prepared for her skin tone. After a couple frustrating and grainy layers I reached out to my freind who is incredible with the figure and skin and she said that brown pigments are ALWAYS grainy, and that she mixes her brown skin tones. I tried to lift off as much as I could. Then I really struggled to mix brown, which should be easy, right?!?!?!? wrong. I don't even have a good method to write down and remember. I just need to start at ground zero. brown skin tones 101.

The winter realm is a reflection of the world above. The worm at the center of the tower has caused it to crumble. Diamonds and flowers have fallen on the grass and the frog is sitting in a crown. He has a story of his own to tell. The maiden is holding the raven she mended and the eagles feather is safe around her waist.

I tried to pack every single line into this illustration. I see it in so many different forms. It could have been painted so many different ways! This commission was incredibly challenging and enjoyable.

Do not be jealous of your sister.
Know that diamonds and roses
are as uncomfortable when they tumble from
one's lips as toads and frogs:
colder, too, and sharper, and they cut.
Remember your name.
Do not lose hope — what you seek will be found.
Trust ghosts. Trust those that you have helped
to help you in their turn.
Trust dreams.
Trust your heart, and trust your story.
When you come back, return the way you came.
Favors will be returned, debts will be repaid.
Do not forget your manners.
Do not look back.
Ride the wise eagle (you shall not fall).
Ride the silver fish (you will not drown).
Ride the grey wolf (hold tightly to his fur).

There is a worm at the heart of the tower; that is
why it will not stand.

When you reach the little house, the place your
journey started,
you will recognize it, although it will seem
much smaller than you remember.
Walk up the path, and through the garden gate
you never saw before but once.
And then go home. Or make a home.
And rest.
  
Words by Neil Gaiman

1 comment:

  1. i just read the string of posts about this commission. WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW. I literally have no words. I cannot even handle the talent and precision, I've always loved and admired your mind--so unique, creative, mysterious, deep. i miss you and missed your imagination! this is so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete